We have been lifting the roof off the Convention Center and inviting our community to get a behind-the-scenes look at how we bring people together in the heart of downtown San Diego all year long.
The Port of San Diego sponsored the event, providing free parking to help us bring people to this free community party. Although we had some rain showers, the weather did not stop the festivities. We brought the entertainment into the ballroom and livestreamed the boat parade, thanks to the technical expertise of our audio/visual partner, ON Site Services.
With the fitting parade theme of Comic-Con on the Bay, we had staff from Comic-Con International on hand to inform the public about the highly anticipated Comic-Con Museum in Balboa Park. Centerplate, our food & beverage partner, featured their signature beer-battered fish tacos in step with the nautical purpose of the event, along with holiday-inspired sweets and beverages. We also had a children’s theater for the little ones and a fun and free photo booth for families and friends to capture the moment.
“As our 30th year comes to an end, we wanted to conclude our anniversary celebrations with a party for the community,” said San Diego Convention Center President and CEO Clifford “Rip” Rippetoe. “As families from San Diego gathered in our building, they enjoyed a festive community event complete with performances that represent the diversity of our region.”
A big thank you to the evening’s performers, all of which dazzled the audience and were a wonderful reflection of our region’s talent. Let’s hear it for those who entertained our community!
- The Lucky Lion Dancers – the oldest lion dance group in San Diego and part of the non-profit Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association
- A Cappella Nativity – project presented by Coronado Arts Academy and nominated for Best Television Program at San Diego Film Week
- Heart Beat Music and Performing Arts Academy – a year round performance arts program designed to allow youth to express themselves creatively through music education and creative arts
- Mariachi Victoria de San Diego – talented musicians from City Heights ranging in age from 11 to 81 years old
- The Manny Cepeda Orchestra – Latin Grammy Nominee bringing the best of Salsa, Merengue, Cumbia and Cuban music to San Diego
- Kat Café – a lively duo playing everything from jazz to pop to country
- The San Diego Chorus of Sweet Adelines International – a highly trained and talented a cappella show chorus of women singing 4-part harmony barbershop style
- Lucky Rumba – an established San Diego band specializing in Caribbean, Latin-American and World Music
From your San Diego Convention Center, thank you for celebrating 30 years with us! Happy New Year!
Enjoy the photos from the event below.